Effective Date and Revisions
Effective from: May 25, 2018
Changes to the Policy are exlained below.
May 25, 2018 Revisions
At Sencia Canada Ltd. we care about your privacy. You should read this policy in full, but here are important highlights:
- We have a dedicated data privacy program that we must follow.
- We do not and will not sell or rent your data unless required in the context of changes to our business structure such as a merger or acquisition.
- We collect information provided to us in relation to and through use of and interaction with our websites, SaaS offerings, and services. Learn more about the personal information we collect.
- We may share personal information with third parties, as needed. Learn more about the information we share with third parties.
- We do not use or disclose a client's individual users' (e.g. customers, employees, trainees, or learners) information for marketing or advertising. Learn more about the information we share in marketing.
- We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 16 without proper consent. Learn more about children's privacy.
- We employ a variety of physical, technological and administrative security safeguards designed to protect personal information. Learn more about data security.
- We may transfer your information to locations outside of your country. Learn more about data transfer.
- To exercise your privacy rights, lodge a complaint, or ask a question, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about your data rights.
Sencia Canada, Ltd, is committed to protecting privacy and safeguarding the information entrusted to us by clients of our products service sites and visitors to our websites. For this reason, we employ a dedicated data privacy program. We do not and will not sell or rent your data unless required in the context of changes to our business structure such as a merger or acquisition.
We collect and use personal information to allow us to provide our products and services to our clients and individuals associated with our clients (e.g. customers, employees, trainees, or learners). In most cases, we do this at the direction of our clients.
Who We Are
Sencia is a global company headquartered in Canada. We provide several products through a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model, that is, our products are delivered through cloud-based centralized hosting and licensed on a subscription basis. The data we collect data is based on either a business need or as directed by our clients. We store and process information and content that our clients create, input, submit, post, upload, transmit, store, or display in the process of using our products. Such content includes any personal information or other sensitive information that a client chooses to include.
When we refer to “us,” “we,” “our,” “Sencia,” or “Informetica” in this Policy, we mean Sencia Canada Ltd.
Links to External Websites
The Information We Collect
The information Sencia collects depends upon the products and services used, how they are used, and what individuals choose to provide. Some of Sencia's SaaS offerings and services require individuals to register or create an account. When an account is created, our clients may require that certain fields be completed (some are required and some are optional), as well as choose a username and password or provide other personal information. In these situations, an individual is not required to provide the information, however, withholding any of the required information will make it impossible to gain access to functionality.
Please view the relevant section below to learn more.
Sencia has various websites for different services (i.e. Sencia.ca, Sencia.com, and Informetica.com) that are accessible to anyone. Individuals can visit our websites without having to log in or otherwise identify themselves. On some of our websites, you may need to log in to benefit from the service or to make use of all the functionalities and be able to communicate with us or other users of our SaaS offerings or products.
Information We Collect
Some of our websites may require you to sign up for an account. When you do, we ask you for information that we need to set up your account, such as your name and email address. You may also voluntarily provide additional information, such as your phone number, address, and other contact information. We also collect information you provide by completing forms or surveys on our websites.
Through Google Analytics, we analyze usage information for sales and marketing purposes, trends about our visitors, visitor demographics, and how visitors use our websites. This analysis is necessary to further our legitimate interest in understanding our users and how they interact with us and our websites, improving our websites and communication with you.
If you use a form on one of our websites, we use the contact details you provide to communicate with you and to let you communicate with us.
Credit card transactions are processed through a payment gateway. These payment gateways are third-party merchants that are responsible for using secure encryption. We do not store credit card information in our systems.
How the Information is Used
We may use your information to:
- Complete your purchase. If you makes purchases via our websites or register for an event, we may require you to provide us with financial information and billing information, such as billing name and address, credit card number, or bank account information.
- Contact you regarding our services, promotions, or special events.
- Customize the advertising and content you see.
- Engage in analysis, research, and reports regarding use of our services.
- Respond to your request for information.
- Protect our services and our users.
- Provide, manage, and improve our services.
- Provide customer service.
- Understand and resolve reported errors.
Users of Our SaaS Offerings & Trial Versions
The majority of information we process is provided directly to us by clients and individuals associated with those clients (such as our clients' customers, employees, trainees, or learners) through the use of our SaaS offerings. Clients and their users may upload or input various types of content, including but not limited to: videos, images, courseware, text, design elements, group names, and file attachments. If you are using a Sencia product in connection with an account created by one of our clients (e.g., employer, organization, or an individual), we collect and process the content submitted on behalf of the client.
Information Provided Directly to Us:
- Account information (such as name and email address).
- Passwords, security questions, and similar information.
- Requests or questions submitted to us via telephone, forms, or email.
- Communications and dealings with Sencia.
- Participation in assessments, contests, or research.
- Uploads or posts to our products.
- Requests for customer support and technical assistance.
Information Provided Indirectly to Us
- Our servers may automatically record certain information in server logs. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP address, browser type and settings, referring / exit pages and URLs, metadata associated with uploaded content, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, date and time stamp information, and other such information.
- We collect specific device information, including your MAC address and other unique device identifiers. We also collect information such as the type of device you are using, its operating system, and mobile network information, which may include your mobile phone number. We may associate this device identifier with your account and will use data associated with your device identifier to customize our services to your device and to analyze any device-related issues.
- We process general information about the location of the device from which you are accessing our products (e.g. approximate geographic location inferred from an IP address).
- Some of our clients choose to use third-party integrations through our products. Such providers may allow Sencia to have access to and store additional information about your interaction with those services and platforms as it relates to the use of our products.
- Credit card transactions are processed by the client's chosen payment gateway (e.g. Moneris). These payment gateways are third-party merchants that are responsible for using secure encryption.We do not store credit card information in our systems.
How the Information is Used
We may use your information to:
- Authenticate and provide account access. Passwords, security questions, and similar information is automated for authentication and account access.
- Complete a purchase via eCommerce. If you make purchases via our SaaS offerings, we may require you to provide us with financial information or billing information.
- Create an account. Your first and last name, email address, and similar information is entered during account registration (either by you or on your behalf created by one of our clients (e.g., employer). In many products and services, you can choose to provide more information for your account profile that may be shared with others through the products and services.
- Disseminate content. We store the files you submit or upload (including audio and video files), your responses to tests, assignment grades and other training activity, and as well as your activity and actions within our products and services. In some SaaS offerings, you also can provide comments in discussion forums and chats and can send messages to your peers and instructors. We also collect information such as instructor's feedback, appraisal answers, and similar actions within our products.
- Provide you with updates and information about the products you license from us.
- Provide, manage, and improve our SaaS offerings.
- Provide you with service notifications.
- Provide you with technical support or to understand and resolve reported issues. When you contact us, your phone conversations, emails, and service request logs may be monitored and recorded for training and quality purposes.
- Respond to your request for information.
- Send email alerts. Some of our SaaS offerings will send automated email notifications, as defined by our clients. Examples of these are a course completion or the award of a certification.
We collect information on individuals applying for a job with Sencia and other information you submit to Sencia for the recruiting process.
Information Provided Directly to Us
- Your name, contact details, and candidate status.
- Information included in your resume, CV, or cover letter such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken,
- Questionnaire results.
- Job preferences and type of employment sought.
- Willingness to relocate.
- Reference names and contact details. Please note that it is your responsibility to obtain consent from your references prior to providing us personal information about them.
- Current and historic salary details together with salary expectations.
Information Provided Indirectly to Us
Sencia may collect data directly from you or from third parties, for example when doing a background check or employment reference. This is subject to your consent where required by law. Sencia does not request to receive any confidential or proprietary information that you have received from your previous employers.
Other Information Collected
We collect and store limited contact information from our clients for the purposes of invoicing, notifications of product updates, maintenance notifications, and similar purposes. We will retain personal information that we store and process on behalf of our clients for at least as long as needed to provide services to our clients.
If you choose to refer someone to our SaaS offerings, we will store that person’s name, email address, or phone number for the purpose of making initial contact with the referred individual, tracking the success of our referral program, and other marketing activities. Your referral may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove their information from our database.
We may post testimonials on our websites that contain your name, organization, and company logo. We will obtain your consent prior to posting your testimonial. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business Contact Information
We collect and store limited contact information from our business contacts and suppliers including mailing address, job title, email address, phone number, social handles, LinkedIn URL, etc. for the purposes of delivering relevant email content, responding to requests, making a business request, and event promotion.
Who Sees Your Information?
Note that our clients, and not Sencia, determine who in their organization can access and see the personal information they collect. For example, a client may run provide reports that contain personal information and share those reports at their discretion. Please contact your organization, employeer, or storefront about their policies with respect to any information they collect about you using our SaaS offerings.
Your Data Rights
Individuals with personal information stored by our SaaS offerings and services may have certain rights regarding their personal information, subject to local data protection laws. Sencia will comply with and uphold the individual's rights to their own data. These may include the following rights:
- to view your personal information held by us (right to access)
- to rectify inaccurate personal information and ensure it is complete (right to rectification)
- to erase/delete your personal information to the extent permitted by other legal obligations (right to erasure; right to be forgotten)
- to restrict our processing of your personal information (right to restriction of processing)
- to request a copy of your personal information in a common readable format (right to data portability)
- to object to any processing of your personal information carried out on the basis of our legitimate interests (right to object). Where we process your personal information for direct marketing purposes or share it with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, you can exercise your right to object at any time to such processing without having to provide any specific reason for such objection
- to the extent we base the collection, processing, and sharing of your personal information on your consent, to withdraw your consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of the processing based on such consent before its withdrawal
Note that many of these rights are not absolute. In some circumstances, we (or your organization, employeer, or storefront) are not legally required to comply with your request because of relevant legal exemptions.
Exercise Your Data Rights
Client administrators may facilitate data right requests from individuals (e.g. customers, employees, trainees, or learners) within their organization. Accounts managed by a client administrator have control with regards to how account information is retained, suspended, and deleted. Non-client users of our SaaS offerings and services that we provide on behalf of our clients should contact their sorganization to process their request and exercise their data rights. Non-client users that email us at email@example.com will have their request forwarded to the appropriate client administrator.
Clients using our SaaS offerings and services may exercise their rights by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests to access, change, or remove your information will be handled within 15 days.
Sencia is committed to ensuring that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained. We have dedicated information security programs and work hard to continuously enhance our technical and operational security measures. We process personal information securely, and apply and maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access, in particular where the processing involves the transmission of data over a network, and against all other unlawful forms of processing.
Our measures consider the sensitivity of the information we collect, use, and store, and the current state of technology. Our security measures include data encryption, firewalls, data use, and access limitations for our personnel and suppliers and physical access controls to our facilities.
Personal information may be displayed on profile pages and elsewhere in our products according to the requirements established by our clients. We recommend that clients guard and restrict the anonymity of personal information and think carefully about what information they collect from their users.
Our clients, and not Sencia, determine their own policies regarding storage, access, modification, deletion, sharing, and retention of information and content that may apply to an individual's use of the product. For example, a client may provide or remove access, manage permissions, transfer users, or control access to content. If you are a non-client user, please check with your organization, employeer, or storefront about the policies and settings that they have instituted with respect to information and content that you provide when using our products and services.
All SaaS offerings and services that use payment are processed through a payment gateway. These payment gateways are third-party merchants that are responsible for using secure encryption. We do not store credit card information in our systems.
Your personal information may be collected, transferred to and stored by us in Canada and by in data centres we employ in other countries.We have adopted policies compliant with Canadian and European law in an effort to ensure effective levels of data protection relating to transfers of personal information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Canada (this is known as data transfer). We host locally or via a virtual server, but may need to access your information from locations outside of your region and country for support and maintenance purposes where permitted under applicable law and our client contracts. We obtain a client's consent prior ro such international data transfers.
We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 16. We expect our clients working with children to obtain consent and authorization the relevant institution or guardian proior to their use of our SaaS Offerings and services. Please contact us at email@example.com if you believe we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under 16 without proper consent . This will allow us to remedy this data collection as soon as possible.
If you have questions about this policy, how we collect or process your personal information, or anything else related to our privacy practices, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that if you are a non-client user of our SaaS offerings, contact your organization, employeer, or storefront. Their privacy statement and data privacy practices will determine how Sencia uses personal information on their institution’s behalf.